Wednesday 29 October 2014

Review: e.l.f. Daily Brush Cleaner


I always clean my brushes with shampoo + hair conditioner mix once in a week, but I was curious about this e.l.f. product, so it eventually ended up in my card while shopping online on their UK website. You know, I love e.l.f. for being cruelty free and affordable brand who produces good quality products, but ugh, this thing made me very disappointed. Why?
  • I followed instructions written on the package: sprayed Brush Cleaner over the brush bristles and wiped brush onto clean tissue. At first I kinda liked that it smells like DKNY Be Delicious perfume, but when the smell stayed in my room for hours giving me a headache, I thought that this is getting out of hands. Don't get me wrong, I tried to ventilate my room by opening window, but even now I can smell it. 
  • While the product doesn't promise to make brushes fully clean, I didn't except it to have such small cleaning effect. Some of my brushes still have eye shadow powder on it :/
Also it contains parabens in it, when Avalon Organics Shampoo which I use for cleaning my brushes doesn't. Cruelty free bloggers from #cfbloggers chat are also suggesting to try cleaning brushes with Dr. Bonner liquid soaps. We don't have it in Estonia, but I might be getting one from asos or feelunique.com.

Will I repurchase Daily Brush Cleaner again? No. Sorry e.l.f., but I stick to my usual cleaning routine.

What do you think about this product?

6 comments:

  1. I was looking to get this product, glad I read your review first. Think I'll stick to shampoo for now xx

    Catherine / caffrinc.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, definitely not the best e.l.f. product. Maybe it kills the bacteria off, but it's kinda difficult to check :D xx

      Delete
  2. Thanks for your review! I've heard mixed things about this brush cleaner, so it was nice to hear another opinion! I don't think I have heard that this cleaner smells, so I'm really glad to hear it because I hate fragrance in my products. Definitely try out Dr. Bronners soap, it really does a good job in cleaning brushes!
    <3 Pauline, http://asianhomie101.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome and sorry for late reply! I checked elf's website and didn't find any fragrance in this product. They say that it consists of Water (Aqua), Alcohol Denat, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Methylparaben - maybe it's alcohol denat which has so strong smell? I don't know, but definitely won't buy this again. Dr. Bronners soap is on my wishlist! xx

      Delete
  3. To be honest I've never been a fan of spray-cleaners for brushes. I do recommend Dr. Bronner for this too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was also in doubt that it will help cleaning brushes, but still I wanted to try one. At the moment I'm using Children Shampoo from Danish organic brand Urtekram (they were sold in local biomarket and had Leaping Bunny logo on it). When it'll run out, I'll buy Dr. Bronner xx

      Delete