Sunday 19 October 2014

Is Naturigin Organic Beauty cruelty free? (updated)

Recently I've contacted Denmark based company Naturigin Organic Beauty. I need to dye my hair and their hair colors are promoted as "cruelty free" at the biggest department store here in Tallinn. Well, as you know, package can lie unless there's Leaping Bunny logo on it, so I had to check them.
 
On their website they have following statement on animal policy:
Does Naturigin test on animals? 
Absolutely NOT!
Our products have never been and never will be tested on animals.
Unlike companies that still needlessly maim and kill animals to test their products, NATURIGIN provides vegan products that are never tested on animals. Our pledge to our customers is that our products are vegan and remain cruelty-free for life.
I got follow up email from their representative very quickly.
Dear Katya

Thank you for your email.
PLS SEE BELOW
Thank you for your interest.

Best regards
NATULIQUE
Stig Bundgaard 
As I understand from your FAQ, you don't test on animals yourself, but do you get another company to test for you and do they use animals in their test? 
===> No, we and no 3rd party company do animal testing. As the developer I am I test the products on myself and that is it ;-) 
Are you owned by parent company or Naturigin is a sole brand?
===> I own the company 100% ;-) 
Do you sell your products in China?
===> No, we do not sell in China as we disagree in the need for animal testing

But person who answered me has different website in his signature -> http://www.natulique.com/ It looks like Naturigin Organic Beauty is a part of Natulique Certified Organic Beauty or this is one company with two different names. I looked Natulique website and this is what I found:

NATULIQUE today has a network of distributors in Europe, Middle East, Asia, Pacific and North America (from here)
Asia? And also you can change website's language to Chinese... I found this suspicious, so I contacted them and the answer came almost immediately:

Hello, I am still having some questions which I hope you will not mind to answer. Is Naturigin Organic Beauty is a part of Natulique Certified Organic Beauty or you just have one company with two names? As written on Natulique website, you have a network of distributors in Asia - could you please tell me specifically where exactly do you sell your products in Asia?

Thx.

Yes we are developing, manufacturing and owner of all.

We sell in New Zealand and Australia.

Thx.
Best regards
NATULIQUE
  
 
Also, I received another email from them with explanation why do they have Chinese language option on Natulique website:
For your information we have some distribution also into Singapore and Malaysia for which reason you find Chinese on our website. This as Chinese is the prodominant language in Singapore and for many inhabitants in Malaysia.

Have a nice Sunday :-)

Best regards
NATULIQUE

So I guess it's safe to add Natulique/Naturigin Organic Beauty to my cruelty free list.


3 comments:

  1. Thank you for doing the back-and-forth! I might try this dye, I want to lighten my hair. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just looked at Naturigin's website. They claim their conditioner is vegan but it contains silk. Just a warning, not sure what to think of this company yet :/

      Delete
    2. Oh :( God, it is so difficult to understand if they lie or not :(

      Delete